Kith & Kin

How to get a replacement deed poll certificate

man holding deed poll in one hand and phone in another

Photo by Andrea Natali on Unsplash

Being a legal document that contains information about your identity, it is essential that you safeguard your deed poll. If you have just come to the realization that ‘I lost my deed poll certificate’, what do you do? Where do you go to inquire on how to get a replacement deed poll certificate?

Without a central register of deed polls, there is no agency that you can approach to retrieve it after changing your name. Furthermore, you will not be able to re-sign another deed poll to replace the lost one.

What is a deed poll?  It is a legal document binding a single party to a particular course of action. In Singapore, a deed poll is most commonly used to declare your intentions of changing your name.

Through this document, you express that you would like to renounce your name and take on a new one.

How to get a replacement deed poll certificate?

In order to obtain a certified true copy of your deed poll, you should approach the law firm that prepared the document for you. Provided that your deed poll is still located in the law firm’s archive, they will be able to assist you.

If your deed poll has been witnessed by our lawyers, get in touch with us so we can determine whether we can provide you with the certified true copy.

A change name by deed poll can be an easy and straightforward procedure, you just need to familiarize yourself of the requirements applicable in your case. If you have minor children, for example,  it is essential to know the prerequisites for child deed poll.

As Deed Poll Singapore lawyers, we at Kith & Kin Law Corporation can help you with your needs. We provide legal advice on how to prepare for and what to do after deed poll name change.

To start drafting your deed poll today, send us a message.