Changing your name via Deed Poll

As we go through life, our personal circumstances may change and that may motivate us to want to change our names- either for personal or expedient reasons.


The process of changing your name in Singapore can be done by submitting a deed poll to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). While it is relatively simple and fast to have a deed poll drawn up and submitted, you have to sign your deed poll and have it witnessed before a Singapore lawyer.


Get in touch with us to find get started on the process, or read on to find out more about deed polls.


Contact Us

Deed Polls from $38.

To find out more, drop us a message and we’ll be happy to help.

Get in touch

Our Process

1. Fill in our Online Form

To save your time, just fill in our online form and make payment for your deed poll. 

2. Sign your Deed Poll

Once your deed poll is ready, make an appointment to sign and collect your deed poll from our office.

3. Submit your Deed Poll

You can proceed to submit your deed poll at the Immigrations & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) . 

Deed Poll FAQ

Year Established
Team Size

If this is the first time you are getting a deed poll done, you may have questions about the procedure, costs, and what to do after deed poll name change. We have collated this section to help answer some of your Frequently Asked Questions.

How much does deed poll cost?

Getting a deed poll in Singapore can cost you anywhere from an average of SGD$50 to SGD$100.

Here at Kith and Kin Law, we charge a flat rate of SGD$38 for deed polls.

What steps do I need to follow to change my name via deed poll?

  1. Fill up an online form so we can have all the information needed to draft your deed poll.
  2. Once the deed poll is ready, you will receive a notification from us. The next step would then be to make an appointment to come by to our office.
  3. When you come to sign and collect your deed poll from our office, you would need to bring your original NRIC or proof of identity. This process cannot be done remotely since our lawyers would need to confirm your identity and be a witness to your deed poll.
  4.  You can now submit the deed poll to the ICA for processing

I'm under 21 years old. Can I sign a deed poll?

You can request a name change no matter how old or young you are.

However, anyone under 21 years of age needs the consent and the signature of both parents to make any changes to their name. This requirement will only be waived if one parent is deceased or when he or she cannot be contacted despite reasonable efforts.

What do I need to bring along when signing the deed poll?

When signing the deed poll, you need to bring proof of your identity. If you are 21 years old and above, you should bring any of the following items to your lawyer’s office:

  • National Registration Identity Card,
  • Passport,
  • NS Green Identity Card, or
  • Singapore Blue Identity Card

If you wish to change the name of a child who is 21 years old and below, you need these documents:

  • Your Identity card or passport
  • Child’s birth certificate

In case the birth certificate is not in English, you need to bring the original birth certificate and a certified true copy of the birth certificate’s English translated version.

What can you change in your name?

The most common reason for changing a name in Singapore includes the following:  

  1. Correct any misspellings in your name.
  2. Changing the order of words in your current name.
  3. Making additions, deletions or any other modifications on your Tamil or Chinese characters in your name.
  4. Making additions, deletions or any other modifications to the punctuation in your name.
  5. Making additions, deletions or any other modifications on your Western, English or Christian name. You can apply for an English name, even if you are not a Christian.
  6. Making additions, deletions or any other modifications on your Hanyu Pinyin name.
  7. Adding your marital name.
  8. Adding religious or baptismal names.

Sometimes, people decide to change their names because of Feng Shui or luck or because they’re tired of their current names. While you can change your name as you wish, it’s up to ICA decide whether the name change you requested gets approved or not.

I lost my deed poll certificate, what do I do?

If you lost the deed poll, you can’t sign another one to replace it. The best thing to do is to approach the lawyer or firm that you signed the deed poll with and request a certified true copy at a certain cost.

What happens after you execute a deed poll?

After executing the deed poll, you should register the name change with the ICA website.

Anyone who changes his or her name needs to apply for a replacement identity card within 28 days of making the change. You can start this process by visiting the ICA website and applying for a name change.

During this step, you also need to provide a digital image of the deed poll. The application fee for changing your name costs around $$60 as of writing. ICA completes the process in three (3) working days. If the application is successful, you should receive the collection notice for your new NRIC in three (3) working days.  This notice will include instructions on what documents to bring when you claim your NRIC.

Take note that you have to claim your identity card in person at the ICA building. You also need to bring the original copy of the deed poll and other documents stated in the collection notice.

Changing your name in your passport

To change the name appearing on your passport, you need to apply for a new passport with the ICA. Learn more about changing your name on your passport on the ICA website.

What would the name change process be if a child’s parents are divorced?

Even if a couple is divorced, both parents should still provide consent to the name change of their child. The child deed poll process will differ depending on whether the change involves the first name or the last name.

What if a parent objects to the changes requested to the child’s name through a deed poll?

If a child’s name has already been changed using a deed poll and the other parent or guardian objects, they can request for the deed poll to be set aside. It would be up to the court to decide on whether the deed poll will be deemed valid  depending on what would be in the best interests of the child.

Can I change my name more than once?

You can change name by deed poll as many times as you want in Singapore as long as the ICA deems the name change as acceptable.

Can I change my name when I’m overseas?

If you are a Singaporean citizen, you can apply for a name change even if you’re abroad. You can do this by executing the deed poll through a foreign lawyer.

If you wish to apply for a deed poll in Singapore instead, you can also get in touch with us via email to make arrangements for your deed poll to be prepared ahead of your return. After executing the deed poll, you can change the name in your National Registration Identity Card online through the ICA website.

Can I use the deed poll to change my name in my birth certificate?

You can’t change the name stated in your birth certificate with a deed poll. The only time you’re allowed to make changes on the birth certificate is if you are changing the name of a child who is less than one year old.

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google
Consent to display content from Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from Sound
Contact us