Kith & Kin

Child Deed Poll: things to consider for name change of minors

little girl in a garden waiting for deed poll

Photo by chen lei on Unsplash

When changing your child’s name by deed poll, there are added considerations if they are under 21 years old. In Singapore, in particular, a child deed poll has certain requirements to protect the welfare of minors.

What is a deed poll?  It is a legal document binding a single party to a particular course of action. In Singapore, a deed poll is most commonly used to declare your intentions of changing your name.

Through this document, you express that you would like to renounce your name and take on a new one.

Here things to consider if you want to change the name of a minor by child deed poll:

1. Consent and signature of both parents are needed

For persons under the age of 21, they will be needing the consent and signature of both their parents, unless they are deceased. If they are not contactable, it must be shown that there were reasonable efforts made to communicate with them.

If the minor is under the care of a guardian, their consent must also be secured before the execution of a deed poll.

2. Child deed poll when parents are divorced

To avoid complications, the parent planning for a child deed poll should do their best to obtain consent from the other parent, even if they have been divorced already.

Without doing so, they may face ICA’s refusal to accept the deed poll or a dispute from the other parent of the child.

Changes in the child’s first name

The ICA recognizes the child’s name is an important symbol of his identity and his relationship with his parents. As such, changes in the first name must be with the consent of both, unless they are not contactable after reasonable efforts.

Changes in the child’s surname

With regard to a child’s surname, consent from their biological father must first be obtained before executing a child deed poll.

3. Objections to changes in the child’s name

In case a parent or guarding objects to the child deed poll, they can apply to the court to have the document set aside. The court will then decide whether or not the deed poll will be allowed based on the minor’s best interests.

4. Requirements when executing child deed poll

If you will be applying for a deed poll for your child who is a minor, make sure you have your IC or passport, and your child’s original Birth Certificate as evidence of your relationship. If your child’s birth certificate is not in English, a translated version is also necessary, along with the original.

A change name by deed poll can be an easy and straightforward procedure, you just need to familiarize yourself with the requirements applicable in your case. You can even do an online search of child deed poll templates beforehand.

Note that in the case of single mothers and adoptive parents, it is best to speak with a lawyer for specific legal advice.

It is also essential to know what to do after deed poll name change and how to get a replacement deed poll certificate.

As Deed Poll Singapore lawyers, we at Kith & Kin Law Corporation can help you with your needs. To start drafting your deed poll today, send us a message.